* The time series analysis of microwave brightness temperature of snow-covered ground during through the winter season.
* To develop new algorithm and validation of previously developed algorithm (CRTM and HUT) for snow cover and snow water equivalent estimation.
* The microwave observations for three distinct categories will be analyzed to understand snowpakc properties through seasonal changes: early and mid-winter, spring (melt-freeze period), and melting period.
* Simulating snow pack physical properties using snow physical models including SNTHERM, etc.
* Develop advanced satellite-based snow retrieval techniques.
* Provide field work training for undergraduate and graduate students.
* Test newly developed instrumentation for snow research.
Pérez Díaz, C.L.; Lakhankar, T.; Romanov, P.; Khanbilvardi, R.; Y. Yu (2015) Evaluation of VIIRS Land Surface Temperature Using CREST-SAFE Air, Snow Surface, and Soil Temperature Data. Geosciences 2015, 5, 334-360.
Lakhankar, T. Y., Muñoz, J., Romanov, P., Powell, A. M., Krakauer, N. Y., Rossow, W. B., and R. M. Khanbilvardi (2013) CREST-Snow Field Experiment: analysis of snowpack properties using multi-frequency microwave remote sensing data, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci., 17, 783-793, doi:10.5194/hess-17-783-2013.
Corona, J.A.I.; Lakhankar, T.; Pradhanang, S.; R.M. Khanbilvardi (2014). Remote Sensing and Ground-Based Weather Forcing Data Analysis for Streamflow Simulation. Hydrology, 1, 89-111.
Munoz J., J. Infante, T. Lakhankar, R. Khanbilvardi, P. Romanov, N. Krakauer, A. Powell (2013) Synergistic Use of Remote Sensing for Snow Cover and Snow Water Equivalent EstimationBritish Journal of Environment and Climate Change., 3(4): 612-627. DOI : 10.9734/BJECC/2013/7699.
Chen C., Lakhankar T., Romanov P., Helfrich S., Powell A., Khanbilvardi R. (2012) Validation of NOAA-Interactive Multisensor Snow and Ice Mapping System (IMS) by Comparison with Ground-Based Measurements over Continental United States. Remote Sensing, 2012; 4(5):1134-1145.
Lakhankar T., A.E. Azar, N. Shahroudi, A. Powell, and R. Khanbilvardi (2012), Analysis of the Effects of Snowpack Properties on Satellite Microwave Brightness Temperature and Emissivity Data, Journal of Geophysics & Remote Sensing, !:101, doi: 10.4172/jgrs.1000101